The SUNY Geneseo Department of Athletics and Recreation is committed to students' intellectual, physical, and social development. The Department promotes the intellectual growth of our students through adherence to and support of the rigorous academic standards set by the College. We challenge student-athletes to work through their perceived physical limits while striving to achieve their full potential as collegiate student-athletes. The Department fosters an environment where students can learn to build relationships to prepare them to become civic-minded leaders of tomorrow. The success and contributions of our department will lead to national recognition of our athletic and recreation programs, be a source of pride for the institution, and create a sense of unity within the campus and surrounding community.
As we move into the twenty first century, Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation aspires to be recognized as a Department that:
- Develops student-athletes who strive for exemplary academic achievement, competitive excellence, and a commitment to serve the communities in which they live.
- Maximizes the Geneseo educational experience by enhancing opportunities in athletics and recreation that stimulate intellectual and social growth which can be applied in all areas of life.
- Fosters the development of positive values which encourages fair play, and ethical behavior.
- Supports the establishment of a diverse learning community that acknowledges the rights, needs and dignity of others.
- Provides a program that is committed to the efficient use of resources, facilities, equitable opportunities and continued professional growth.
- To assure that all intercollegiate athletics, intramural and recreational programs are in harmony with the essential mission of the college and the Division of Student and Campus Life.
- To actively recruit quality student-athletes whose participation on intercollegiate teams can maintain or raise the program's level of excellence and contribute to the overall success of the College.
- To enhance the educational experience of student-athletes by providing academic support services, advisement and counseling when needed.
- To promote collaboration between the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation and the general student body, faculty, staff, alumni and community.
- To provide equitable opportunities for all students interested in intercollegiate athletics, intramurals and recreation. These opportunities are designed to enhance personal development through an organized, disciplined and wholesome experience that is structured and operated within the confines of national, regional, local, and institutional rules and governing bodies.
- To provide the necessary resources for each intercollegiate, intramural and recreational sport or activity, in order to assure equity in programs, with the understanding that while the "needs" for each sport are different, equal emphasis will be given to men's and women's sports.
- To advocate for the development and maintenance of quality athletic and recreational facilities, which meet the needs of the entire college community.
- To recruit, develop and retain a qualified coaching, administrative and support staff whose actions exhibit fairness, openness and honesty in their relationships with student-athletes.
- To ensure a commitment to diversity, inclusion and gender equity among its student-athletes, coaches and administrators and maintain an inclusive culture that fosters equitable participation for student-athletes and career opportunities for coaches and administrators from diverse backgrounds including, but not limited to, age, race, sex, national origin, creed, disability, gender expression, gender identity and sexual orientation.