GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior forward Cara Stafford scored three goals to lift the Knights over visiting Utica, 4-2, Wednesday, at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo (9-5) opened the scoring when Stafford slotted home an assist from junior defender Tess Necaise with 12:11 remaining in the first half .
- The Knights added a second goal five minutes later as senior forward Giovanna Fasanello scored from close range on a pass from junior forward Gabriella Clare.
- The Pioneers got on the board with 24:51 remaining in regulation when sophomore forward Ricki Haab scored from the crease off a rebound.
- With 14:28 on the clock, Geneseo regained its two-goal advantage after Stafford scored on a pass from first-year midfielder Jordan Penkitis.
- Stafford completed the hat-trick six minutes later after collecting a rebound off Utica senior goalie Samantha Whitehouse's pads and scoring into the left side of the goal to give the Knights a 4-1 lead.
- First-year midfielder Jenny Robbins added the Pioneers' second goal of the match with 1:09 remaining.
- Geneseo had its streak of over 279 scoreless minutes broken, dating back to the second half of the Knights' 4-2 victory over Elmira (Sept. 30)
- Geneseo outshot Utica 16-11, including an 11-7 advantage in shots on goal
- Stafford's hat-trick was the fourth of her career and first since notching three goals in a 4-1 win over Houghton exactly one year ago.
The Knights return to action Saturday (Oct. 21) when they travel to Nazareth at 12:00 p.m.