PINE VALLEY, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior defender Mitch Ferguson scored a power-play goal, but the Knights fell to the host Elmira Soaring Eagles, 3-2, on Saturday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ferguson began the scoring for Geneseo (7-2-0) in the second period with a power play goal. Sophomore forward Conlan Keenan and junior defenseman Duggie Lagrone connected passes to Ferguson before he netted a shot with 14:21 remaining in the second frame.
- Sophomore forward Tyson Empey followed later in the period with a short-handed goal, swiping a pass from the Soaring Eagles attack and burying a shot to make it 2-0 with 7:37 remaining.
- Elmira (4-5-1) struck before the second period ended, making it 2-1 on a goal with 1:42 remaining in the second frame.
- The Soaring Eagles tied the game with 2:12 remaining in the game and netted the game-winning power-play goal in the final seconds to earn the victory.
- Ferguson scored his second goal of the season, and recorded a point in consecutive games, recording an assist in the Knights' 5-1 win over Morrisville, for the first time in his Geneseo career.
- Empey notched his first career short-handed goal and the Knights' first of the season.
- The Knights outshot the Soaring Eagles, 45-22.
- Junior goalkeeper Devin McDonald made 19 saves.
The Knights will return to the ice on Friday, Dec. 1 when they host Oswego. The game will be the "Teddy Bear Toss" where the team will collect donations of stuffed animals for children in need.