GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior defenseman Mitch Ferguson totaled two goals and an assist to lead the Knights to a 4-3 victory over Oswego in the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Men's Ice Hockey Championship game, Saturday.
Ferguson was tabbed Tournament MVP after notching what proved to be the game-winning tally with 5:05 left in regulation as Geneseo (24-1-2) won its second-consecutive SUNYAC crown.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Oswego struck first after junior forward Joey Scorpio won a faceoff in the Geneseo zone and fed junior forward Jody Sullivan for a short finish inside the left post at 15:41 of the first.
- Geneseo evened the score with a power play tally with 4:25 left in the first. Ferguson took a drop pass at the top of the zone from junior defenseman Will Campion and scored on a wrist-shot into the top-left corner of the goal.
- The Knights took a 2-1 lead at 13:39 of the second. Sophomore forward Carson Kelly took a shot in the slot that rebounded off Oswego junior goalie David Richer's pads to Geneseo first-year defenseman Chris Perna, who back-handed a shot inside a wide-open left post.
- Geneseo took a 3-1 lead with a power-play tally at 4:26 of the second. Junior forward Andrew Romano slid a pass across the Laker crease to junior forward Tyson Empey, who one-timed a shot over Richer's glove.
- Oswego got one back in the final minute of the second period. Junior forward Michael Gillespie got the puck on the left wing in the Geneseo zone and spun off a Knights' defender to send a puck on goal. Junor forward Josh Zizek jammed a shot off Geneseo senior goalie Devin McDonald's pads before stuffing his own rebound into the net with 23.6 seconds on the clock.
- Oswego tied the game, 3-3, with 9:52 left in the third. Junior forward Anthony Passero threw a puck on goal from the right wing that sophomore forward Tanner Spink popped off McDonald's pads. First-year forward Travis Broughman trailed the play to tip the loose puck inside the right post.
- Ferguson notched the deciding tally after taking a pass high on the right wing from Empey and scoring on a wrist shot from the top of the zone through traffic.
- Geneseo clinched its sixth SUNYAC Championship, including its third in the last four years. Also winning titles in 2018, 2016, 2006, 2005 and 1986, the Knights became the first back-to-back champions since Oswego won titles in 2013 and 2014.
- Geneseo earned an automatic bid to its fourth NCAA Division III Tournament appearance in the last six seasons.
- Geneseo set a program record with its 24th victory while extending its unbeaten streak to 22 (21-0-1).
- Romano notched his 88th career assist to surpass Aaron Coleman '01 for 11th all-time at Geneseo. He also climbed past Roger Mattoli '97 for 24th with his 112th career point.
- Senior forward Anthony Marra became the 24th player in program history with 70 career assists.
- McDonald broke a three-way tie for fifth in NCAA Division III history with his 69th career victory.
SUNYAC ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
Josh Zizek, Devin Campbell
The 12-team field for the NCAA Division III Tournament will be announced on Monday at 10:30 a.m. on NCAA.com.