GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior forward McKenna Brooks finished with a season-high 21 points and grabbed eight rebounds as the 20th-ranked Knights defeated State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) rival Potsdam, 82-43, on Friday night at Schrader Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Potsdam jumped out to an early 11-4 lead but the Knights answered with a 13-0 run highlighted by a pair of three-pointers from sophomore guard Lindsay Halpin. Junior guard Sara Ciotti capped the quarter with a successful halfcourt heave at the buzzer to make it 24-15.
- The Bears opened the frame with six-straight points before junior guard Madison McCulley sunk a three-pointer from the corner with 7:14 to extend the Knights lead to 27-21. Potsdam cut the lead to one point with 2:11 remaining in the half, but Ciotti and senior forward Nicole Kaczmarczyk scored consecutive buckets to make it 34-29 at the break.
- Senior guard Kelsey Poplawski drilled three of the Knights' four three-pointers in the third quarter. Geneseo outscored the Bears 26-8 in the frame to extend their advantage to 60-37.
- Sophomore forward Kerrin Montgomery scored a team-high five points in the fourth quarter as the Knights outscored Potsdam 22-6 in the frame, holding the Bears to just 14 points through the entire second half.
- Brooks finished 9-for-10 from the free throw line and recorded a game-high three blocks.
- Ciotti and senior guard Kelsey Poplawski each finished with 12 points while Halpin chipped in 11, with six rebounds and five assists.
- Geneseo made a season-high 10 three-pointers as Poplawski, Ciotti and Halpin each netted three.
Geneseo (9-0, 3-0 SUNYAC) will return to action on Saturday when they host Plattsburgh at 2:00 p.m.