ROCHESTER, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior forward Hayley Fonfara and first-year forward Maggie Phipps both tallied one goal, but it was host St. John Fisher scoring three-unanswered second-half goals to earn a 4-2 victory in field hockey action, Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Fonfara found the back of the net off centering pass from junior midfielder Jordan Penkitis to open the scoring 3:55 into the first quarter.
- St. John Fisher answered with 1:11 on the clock to knot the game, 1-1, heading into the second quarter.
- Phipps put the Knights back in the lead with an unanssisted tally in the 24th minute.
- The Cardinals evened the score 2:27 into the third quarter and built a 3-2 lead less than seven minutes later.
- St. John fisher tacked on a final goal with less than three minutes left in regulation while holding the Knights scoreless over the final 37 minutes of the contest.
- Geneseo sophomore goalie Natalie Chojnacki started the game, totaling five saves in 45 minutes of work. First-year Sarah Quinlan played the fourth quarter, compiling four saves in her first intercollegiate appearance.
- St. John Fisher finished the night with a 20-9 shot advantage while totaling a 9-5 edge in penalty corners.
- Geneseo (3-2) travels to Washington & Jefferson on Saturday (Sept. 14) for a 1:00 p.m. contest against the Presidents.