CORTLAND, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo junior forward Haley Clark and first-year midfielder Cassidy Sturdevant each scored a goal in the Knights' 2-0 shutout of host Cortland, Saturday, in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) field hockey.
Geneseo (10-2, 2-0 SUNYAC) won its seventh-straight game as well as for the ninth time in its last 10 outings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Following nearly three quarters of scoreless play, Sturdevant took a feed from junior back Jordan Penkitis and scored inside the left post past a screened Red Dragon goalie with 30 second left in the third quarter.
- Just over a minute into the fourth quarter, Clark lifted a pass from Penkitis over the Cortland goalie to push the visitors to a two-goal lead.
- Sophomore goalie Natalie Chojnacki notched two saves in the final eight minutes of regulation to preserve her sixth shutout of the season.
- Geneseo out-shot Cortland by a 15-5 margin, including a 10-6 edge in shots on goal.
- Chojnacki finished with four total saves, while senior back Julia Kim and junior back Kelly McKeveny each logged a defensive save.
- The Knights earned their first road win opposite the Red Dragons since a 2-1 OT decision on Oct. 20, 2012.
Geneseo hosts Keuka on Wednesday (Oct. 9) at 4:00 p.m. before heading to defending SUNYAC Champion New Paltz next Saturday (Oct. 12) for a 12:00 p.m. match with the Hawks.