NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - SUNY Geneseo senior guard Zack Panebianco scored 24 points off the bench to lead the Knights to a victory over host Westminster (Pa.), 63-58, on Saturday afternoon in the Buzz Ridl Classic.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams struggled to score in the early going, but the Knights took an 11-10 lead with 8:26 remaining in the first half on a Panebianco jumper.
- Westminster followed with an 11-3 run to take a 21-14 lead, their largest of the game, with 3:26 to go in the period.
- The Knights closed the half on a 10-5 run to cut the lead to just two points at the halftime break.
- Geneseo opened the second half with six straight points, taking a 30-26 lead on a layup by sophomore forward Joseph Harclerode III with 16:55 to go.
- From that point on the Knights never trailed, going 17-for-21 from the foul line in the second half, including 6-for-6 in the final minute of play to seal the victory.
- Panebianco finished with his sixth career 20-point game as a Knight, shooting 7-for-11 from the floor and 8-for-9 from the charity stripe. He was named to the Buzz Ridl All-Classic Team.
- Junior guard Terrance Nichols posted 10 points and six rebounds, sophomore guard Cam Keeley scored a season-high nine points on three triples, while junior guard Terence Rogers scored nine points and passed off four assists.
- Geneseo shot 18-for-50 (36.0%) from the floor, their lowest shooting percentage in a victory since Nov. 20, 2016 when they shot 23-for-65 (35.4%) from the floor in an 86-74 victory over New Rochelle.
Geneseo (2-1) will face Alfred in the Knights' home opener on Tuesday, Nov. 27 at 7:30 p.m.