BUFFALO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior guard Zach Panebianco scoerd 26 and junior guard Terrance Nichols netted 23 but it wasn't enough to lead the Knights to a victory as they fell, 81-73, to host Buffalo State in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) play on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo opened a 5-0 lead in the first two minutes, but Buffalo State responded with 14-straight points. The Knights trailed by as many as 12 points in the first half, and fell behind 30-19 with 5:37 remaining in the period.
- The Knights held the Bengals scoreless for the remainder of the first half, taking off on a 17-0 run to regain the lead. Senior forward Sean Avery and Panebianco finished the half with back-to-back layups as Geneseo entered halftime leading, 36-30.
- Geneseo took its largest lead of the contest when Nichols drained a three, making it 46-34 with 16:14 to play in the game.
- The Bengals chipped away at the score, mounting a 16-0 run late in the second half to regain the lead for good.
- Geneseo threatened in the final minute, drawing within five points, but the home team held on for the victory.
- Panebianco and Nichols are the first Knights' tandem to score 20 points in the same game since February 3, 2018, a 105-78 Knights victory over visiting Brockport.
- First-year guard Michael Gannon scored 10 while senior forward Jack Manke added eight points and seven rebounds.
- The Knights recorded 32 points in the paint and assisted on 18 of 28 field goals.
The Knights will host Brockport on Saturday at 4:00 p.m.