GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo sophomore forward Conlan Keenan and junior defenseman Mitch Ferguson were each credited with two goals and an assist to lead the No. 7 Knights to a 7-1 victory over Canton, Saturday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo (15-4-3) sophomore defenseman Will Campion circled the Canton net and sent a pass in front of the crease that Keenan finished inside the right post from close range with 9:24 on the clock.
- Following a Canton hooking penalty with 6:47 remaining in the first, junior defenseman Duggie Lagrone flipped a shot on goal from the point that Keenan collected off a defender in front of the crease and scored his second of the night for a 2-0 lead the Knights carried into the second period.
- Ferguson made it a 3-0 edge after taking a cross-ice feed from junior forward Anthony Marra in the low slot and scoring on a wrist shot with 36.7 seconds on the second-period clock.
- Canton (6-15-2) got one back five minutes into the third on a power-play tally by first-year forward Jake Mayette, but the Knights responded with three goals during a four-minute span to put the game out of reach.
- Empey scored on a one-timer off the stick of senior forward Sotiri Athanasopoulos at the 12:21 mark before Ferguson turned a Kangaroo turnover into his second of the game off an assist from junior forward Joe Serpico at 10:58.
- The Knights finished the run at 8:31 after Keenan dug a puck out of the right corner to sophomore forward Andrew Romano, who fed junior forward Arthur Gordon for a short-range wrist shot at 8:31.
- Sophomore forward David Szmyd closed the scoring with 4:22 left in regulation off a Canton turnover in its own zone.
- Geneseo improved to 7-0-2 in its last nine outings, out-scoring its opponents, 44-14, during the run.
- Junior goalie Devin McDonald totaled 18 saves to improve to 14-2-3 this winter while running his career record to 42-10-11 to break a tie with Brett Walker '05 for third-place on the Knights' career win list.
- Marra's assist was the 50th of his Geneseo career while Szmyd's goal was the 50th point in a Geneseo sweater.
- Keenan's second goal was his 20th this season, marking his second-straight 20-goal campaign after notching 23 last year.
Geneseo plays its final road game of the season next Friday (Feb. 9), traveling to Oswego for a 7:00 p.m. SUNYAC face-off with the Lakers.