BUFFALO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior defenseman Mitch Ferguson was one of six goal scorers to lead the No. 2 Knights to a 6-2 victory at Buffalo State, Wednesday, in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) men's ice hockey action.
Geneseo (21-1-2, 12-1-2 SUNYAC) wrapped up the SUNYAC Tournament top-seed for the first time since 2014 while extending its unbeaten streak to 18 games (17-0-1).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Buffalo State opened the scoring after Vadim Vasjonkin finished a left-wing rush with a wrist shot through traffic with 12:12 left in the first period.
- Geneseo answered with three goals to finish the period. Junior forward Andrew Romano brought the puck down the right wing and hit Ferguson with a feed in the left face-off circle for a power-play wrister with 9:54 on the clock following a Bengal hooking penalty.
- First-year forward Henry Cleghorn took a feed in the left faceoff circle from first-year forward Ryan Burnett and scored on a wrist shot with 3:12 remaining.
- Junior defenseman Will Campion circled the Buffalo State zone before dumping a pass to first-year defender Chris Perna from right wing. Perna sent a shot on goal from the top of the slot that Burnett tipped into the back of the Bengal net with 2:23 left to give the Knights a two-goal edge after 20 minutes of play.
- Junior defenseman Tanner Salsberry opened the second period with a scoring blast from the top-right corner of the Buffalo State zone after only 28 seconds of play.
- Geneseo made the Bengals pay for back-to-back penalties in a 26-second span as junior forward Tyson Empey finished his own rebound inside the right post off a feed from Romano with 14:45 left in the period.
- Buffalo State made it a 5-2 game with 9:37 on the second-period clock after Reid Bibb finished a nice feed in front of Knights' senior goalie Devin McDonald.
- The visitors built a four-goal edge after junior forward David Szmyd cleaned a puck off the Buffalo State goalie's pads off a shot by junior forward Conlan Keenan for a short finish inside the left post with 2:00 on the second-period clock.
- The defending SUNYAC Champion Knights will host a semifinal contest next Saturday (Feb. 23) at 7:00 p.m. against an opponent to be determined, and, with a victory, would host the championship game the following Saturday (March 2) at 7:00 p.m.
- McDonald was credited with 19 saves to improve to 20-1-2 this winter. He also broke a tie for seventh place in Division III history with his 67th career victory, moving ahead of UMass-Dartmouth's Scott Pearsons (1987-90).
- Romano passed Jeff Stitt '81 for 15th in the Geneseo record books with his 82nd-career assist and moved into a tie with Greg Doell '98 with his 103rd-career point.
- Keenan tied current assistant coach Dan Loughran '86 for 22nd on the Knights' all-time scoring list with his 113th career point.
Geneseo closed the regular season at Brockport this Friday (Feb. 15) with a 7:00 p.m. face-off with the Golden Eagles.