GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo first-year midfelder Jake Steffen scored two goals and an assist, but it was No. 3 RIT pulling away in the second half for a 14-5 victory over the Knights, Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- RIT scored the lone three goals of the first period and opened a 4-0 lead at 9:26 of the second. The Knights responded with back-to-back goals by senior midfielder Jack Centore and Steffen in just over a minute span to make it a two-goal game, 4-2, with 5:03 left in the first half.
- The Tigers (8-1) tacked on one more goal with seven seconds left in the second quarter, but Geneseo scored the first tally of the third quarter on a goal by first-year midfielder Chris Martello at 12:02.
- A 4-0 surge by the visitors put Geneseo in a 9-3 hole with 3:41 left in the third period. Knights' junior attackman Matt Malone scored a man-up tally off a Steffen feed at 2:52, but RIT closed the period with another tally a minute later to carry a 10-4 lead into the fourth.
- Steffen opened the fourth-period scoring at 12:30, but the Tigers put the game away with four unanswered goals down the stretch to earn their third-straight victory.
- Geneseo junior goalie Tyler Wetzel totaled a career-hight 21 saves as RIT out-shot the Knights, 55-24.
- RIT forced 27 Geneseo turnovers, including 15 Knights' clears.
Geneseo opens State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) play on Saturday with a trip to Plattsburgh for a 12:00 p.m. face-off.