Posted: Nov 01, 2017
ONEONTA, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo fell 3-0 at Oneonta in the semifinals of the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Men's Soccer Tournament, Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Oneonta took a 1-0 lead in the 24th minute. Cory Santangelo took a low, right-wing shot during a Red Dragon rush that was saved on a dive by Knights' sophomore goalkeeper Dillon Medd. However, Whitman Hernandez was there to collect the rebound and score into the middle of the Knights net to open the scoring.
- Oneonta made it a 2-0 lead in the 52nd minute after Santangelo finished off a corner kick with a close-range shot from the right post.
- Hernandez gave Oneonta a 3-0 edge in the 65th minute after finishing off a service into the box.
- Medd finished the game with six saves as second-seeded Oneonta out-shot the Knights, 16-12.
- Making their first postseason appearance since 2014, the sixth-seeded Knights (9-8-1) advanced to the semifinals after upsetting third-seeded Buffalo State, 2-0, in last Saturday's quarterfinals.
- Oneonta also defeated Geneseo, 4-0, in the second round of the 2014 tournament in the only other postseason meeting between the teams.