POTSDAM, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior back Connor Ross netted a golden goal in the 110th minute of play to lift the Knights to a 1-0 win over host Potsdam on Friday evening in both teams' State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) opener.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo held off Potsdam for 90 minutes, despite being outshot, 11-8, in regulation.
- Junior goalkeeper made a crucial save in the first overtime period as Potsdam continued to pressure the Knights.
- With just 20 seconds remaining in the game, Ross struck a shot from 25 yards out that glanced off the diving goalkeeper's hands and in, propelling Geneseo to the golden-goal victory.
- The Knights (3-2-2, 1-0-0 SUNYAC) earn their first overtime win of the season, improving to 1-0-2 in overtime games this year after going 2-1-2 in extra time last season.
- Liam Dole drew the start and made one save in the first half but Medd earned the win with five saves in the second half and both overtime periods.
- Ross' goal was just the second of his career, and his first game-winner. His only other goal came in 2016, in a 2-1 loss to Buffalo State.
Geneseo will travel to Plattsburgh on Saturday for another SUNYAC battle, with kickoff scheduled for 1:00 p.m.