GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior Alyssa Persich recorded two hits and drove in two important insurance runs to lead the Knights to a 5-2 victory over Buffalo State in the opening game of the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Tournament on Thursday morning at Raschi Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sixth-seeded Buffalo State jumped ahead of the top-seeded Knights in the top of the second after two walks, a hit batsman and a single yielded a run. Sophomore pitcher Ashlyn Kersch worked the Knights out of a bases loaded, one-out jam to limit the damage.
- The Knights tied the game in the bottom of the second when sophomore infielder Brooke Wolff plated junior catcher Taylor Fedor with an RBI single through the right side.
- Buffalo State regained the lead on an RBI double in the third inning, but the Knights responded with three runs in the bottom of the third to take a 5-2 lead. Senior infielder Tori Fahie drew a bases loaded walk to tie the game and junior infielder Kylie Papagelos brought home the go-ahead run on a sacrifice fly. Persich added a two-run single to extend the Geneseo lead to three runs.
- Kersch retired the final 13 batters she faced to earn the victory, her 11th of the season.
- Papagelos recorded her 18th RBI of the season, increasing her career-high.
- Persich has gone 5-for-13 from the plate with two doubles, two runs scored and two RBI in the past three games.
- The Knights have allowed two or fewer runs in 20 games this season, posting an 18-2 mark in those contests.
Geneseo will take on Oswego on Friday morning at 9:00 a.m. in their next SUNYAC Tournament game.