BUFFALO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior outfielder Danni Napoli hit her 19th-career home run to become the Knights' all-time home run leader as Geneseo defeated Buffalo State, 8-6 and 9-3, in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) play on Saturday afternoon.
GAME 1 - Geneseo 8, Buffalo State 6
- The Knights fell behind, 1-0, but gained the lead with a three-run third inning. Junior pitcher Ashlyn Kersch drove in junior infielder Brooke Wolff with an RBI double and junior infielder Abbey Whitney added a two-run double three batters later to put the team ahead, 3-1.
- Buffalo State responded with a run in the bottom of the third, but Geneseo tied the game, 4-4, when senior outfielder Alyssa Persich poked an RBI single back up the middle, driving in senior pitcher Taylor Moore.
- Geneseo scored three runs in the top of the fifth and added another in the sixth to build a four-run lead. Buffalo State scored twice in the bottom of the seventh, but senior pitcher Jasmine Petrishin closed out the game for the win.
GAME 2 - Geneseo 9, Buffalo State 3
- Napoli opened the game two scoring with a two-run blast to left field, her third of the season and 19th of her career, passing Samantha Trapasso '14 as the program's all-time home run leader.
- In the second inning, Persich drove in a run with and RBI double and came in to score on a Kersch single to increase the lead to 4-0. Napoli drove in a run in another run in the fourth with an RBI double and junior outfielder Hannah Elmer brought her home with an RBI single, making it 6-0.
- The Bengals scored three runs in the fifth inning, cutting the Knights' lead in half, but Geneseo scored three insurance runs in the top of the seventh and Kersch retired the Bengals in the bottom of the frame to finish off the sweep.
- The Knights (16-6, 4-2 SUNYAC) have hit 11 home runs through 22 games this season, just three shy of last season's total home run count in 41 games played.
- Kersch finished 5-for-8 while Elmer went 4-for-8 in the two games combined. Geneseo's three pitchers (Kersch, Moore and Petrishin) combined for seven hits on the day.
- Geneseo finished with 29 hits over the two games combined, including 11 extra-base hits.
The Knights will travel to Fredonia to face the Blue Devils in a SUNYAC doubleheader on Sunday, with game one beginning at 11:00 a.m.