ANGOLA, Ind. - SUNY Geneseo junior infielder Abbey Whitney went 3-for-4 with a double but the Knights fell to host Trine, 6-3, in game one of the NCAA Division III Super Regional on Friday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo opened up a three-run lead in the fourth inning as senior outfielder Alyssa Persich led off with a single and came around to score when senior pitcher Jasmine Petrishin laced a double to the right-center gap. Sophomore pinch-runner Rachel Mihlstin scored when senior infielder Kylie Papagelos drove a double down the left-field line, and Papagelos came home two batters later to put the Knights ahead, 3-0.
- Junior pitcher Ashlyn Kersch struck out the first four batters she faced, but allowed a run in the fourth inning as the Thunder drew a bases loaded walk. First-year infielder Taylor Riccardi helped Kersch out of the inning, recording an inning-ending unassisted double play.
- Trine scored three runs on four hits in the fourth inning to take a 4-3 lead and added a pair of insurance runs in the sixth.
- Senior outfielder Danni Napoli led off the top of the seventh with a single and Whitney followed with a double to bring the tying run to the plate with no outs, but the Knights could not complete the comeback.
- With two hits, Napoli moved into third place in Geneseo history with 182 career base knocks, while Persich remained in second all-time with 197.
- Kersch finished with seven strikeouts as the pitching staff combined for eight, one shy of a season high.
- The Knights took just their third lost after out-hitting their opponent. Geneseo recorded nine hits while holding Trine to 7, but fall to 32-3 when outhitting their opponent this season.
Geneseo (37-12) will look to even the 2-out-of-3 series against Trine on Saturday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. With a win, the Knights would force an "if necessary" game to be played immediately after the completion of the first.