Posted: May 18, 2019
ANGOLA, Ind. - The SUNY Geneseo softball team had its historic season come to an end as the Knights fell, 3-1, to Trine in game two of the NCAA Super Regional on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trine jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the third inning, capitalizing on a Geneseo error and stringing together a pair of hits to jump out in front.
- Geneseo threatened to score in nearly every inning, stranding a total of nine runners on base.
- In the sixth inning, senior catcher Taylor Fedor led off with a single before senior pitcher Jasmine Petrishin double to left two batters later. With runners on second and third, junior infielder Brooke Wolff drove home a run, but the Knights' rally ended with just one run.
- In the seventh inning, senior outfielder Danni Napoli drew a walk and junior outfielder Hannah Elmer singled to bring the game-winning run to the plate with two outs, but the Thunder executed a "hidden ball" trick play to record the final out.
- Junior infielder Ashlyn Kersch finished 2-for-4 and pitched 2.1 innings allowing three runs (two earned). Petrishin went 1-for-2 from the plate and pitched 4.2 scoreless innings of relief.
- The Knights set program records with 86 doubles and 122 extra-base hits, won a program-record 37 games and advanced to the NCAA Super Regional for the first time in program history.
- Geneseo graduates seven seniors who have led the team to 115 wins, including back-to-back 30 win seasons for the first time in program history, two NCAA Tournament appearances.