POTSDAM, N.Y – SUNY Geneseo senior forward McKenna Brooks scored a game-high 19 points and pulled down 10 rebounds for her third double-double of the season as the Knights used a second-half surge to overcome a ffour-point halftime deficit and defeat State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) rival Potsdam, 72-48, on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights led by as many as four points in the first quarter as sophomore guard Natalie Alfieri made a layup to put the team ahead, 12-8, but Potsdam tied the game, 12-12, with under a minute to play in the period. Sophomore guard Lindsay Halpin hit a jump shot to give the Knights a 14-12 lead at the end of the first frame.
- Potsdam opened the second period with 12 straight points to take a 24-14 lead with 4:47 to play, but the Knights battled back, finishing the quarter on a 11-5 run to cut the Bears' advantage to 29-25 at halftime.
- Senior guard Kelsey Poplawski hit a three to open the third quarter but Potsdam answered with a bucket of their own. From there, the Knights went on a 24-0 run, holding Potsdam scoreless over the next 8:42, and outscoring the home team, 27-4, in the third to take a commanding 52-33 lead into the fourth quarter.
- Brooks scored nine of her 19 points in the fourth quarter, helping Geneseo hold off the Bears and seal the victory.
- Junior guard Sara Ciotti and sophomore guard Lindsay Halpin recorded three steals each to lead the Knights to a season-high 12 as they forced Potsdam into 23 turnovers.
- Halpin tied a season-high with eight assists, as Geneseo recorded assists on 23 out of 29 field goals, tying the most on the year.
- Brooks finished 8-for-11 from the field, leading 11 Knights with a field goal.
- Geneseo was outrebounded for just the second time this season as Potsdam grabbed 33 rebounds and the Knights nabbed 31.
Geneseo will travel to Plattsburgh to face the Cardinals in another SUNYAC battle on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.