GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo junior guard Lindsay Halpin led all scorers with 24 points behind a 10-for-14 shooting performance to lead the 15th-ranked Knights past visiting Alfred, 68-51, Tuesday night at Schrader Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior guard Natalie Alfieri contributed four points and two defensive rebounds in the first quarter of action, but it was the Saxons who led going into the second period of play, 15-10.
- Halpin leveled the game, 17-17, with a layup at the 6:57 mark in the second quarter. She added a go-ahead three-pointer to put the Knights ahead with 3:45 remaining in the half, sparking an 11-4 scoring run as the Knights raced ahead, leading at the break, 28-21.
- The Knights outscored the Saxons in the third quarter, 18-11, including 10 points from Halpin. First-year guard Taylor Hansen drilled a three-pointer as time expired to put Geneseo ahead, 46-32, at the end of the frame.
- Junior forwards Kerrin Montgomery and Abigail Duvivier combined for 15 points as Geneseo shot 8-for-12 (66.7%) from the field in the fourth quarter. The Knights led by as many as 19 points and held on for the 68-51 victory.
- Junior forward Kerrin Montgomery tallied 12 points on the night, shooting 4-8 from the field.
- Sophomore forward Megan Roell had a career-high three steals while contributing six points and five rebounds.
- Alfieri reeled in a game-high eight rebounds while Duvivier finished with a season-high nine points.
- The Knights scored 34 points in the paint and recorded assists on 20 of their 27 made field goals.
Geneseo (5-0) opens up its conference schedule at home against Cortland on Friday, Dec. 6th, at 5:30 PM.