GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo junior forward Kerrin Montgomery led all scorers with 17 points as the Knights cruised to a home victory over conference rival Oswego, 72-48, at Schrader Gymnasium, Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo jumped out to a 10-5 advantage within the first three minutes of the contest behind five points from Montgomery. Junior guard Natalie Alfieri reeled in four rebounds in the first quarter as the Knights closed out the period with an 18-9 lead.
- Senior guard Sara Ciotti tallied a three-pointer with 3:57 remaining in the half to increase Geneseo's lead to 34-16 and the Knights went into the break leading, 43-19.
- A layup from first-year guard Taylor Hansen gave the Knights their largest lead of the game, 59-30, with 1:26 remaining in the third quarter. Ciotti found sophomore forward Megan Roell for a buzzer-beating layup at the conclusion of the third quarter, making it a 61-34 Geneseo advantage.
- Senior guard Natalie DiSalvo scored five of her season-high eight points in the fourth quarter as Geneseo closed out its first conference victory of the season.
- Ciotti finished with 14 points behind a 4-for-5 shooting performance behind the arc. The Knights shot 8-for-18 (44.4%) from three-point range, a season-high mark.
- Geneseo's six three-pointers in the second period marked their highest total in one period all season.
- Alfieri dished out a game-high five assists, tying her season high.
- Geneseo led for over 39 minutes of the game, trailing for just 15 seconds during the opening minute of play.
The Knights are back in action after winter break when they take on Connecticut College at Babson Park, Mass., on January 4th, in the Judy Pearson Memorial Tournament.