GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior midfielder Jennifer Moran netted the eventual game-winning goal as the Knights earned a 2-0 victory over Nazareth College on Thursday evening at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights and Golden Flyers played a scoreless first half, with Geneseo's best chance coming on a direct kick in the 19th minute. Senior forward Audrey Reid teed up a shot from 20 yards out, but put it just over the bar.
- Geneseo broke through in the 53rd minute, when Moran collected a corner kick from Reid and buried a shot from the six-yard line to put the Knights ahead, 1-0.
- First-year midfielder Raegan Becker added to the Knights' tally with her first career goal on another set piece. Junior midfielder Ashley Byrne crossed in a corner kick that senior midfielder Leah Greene headed off of a defender, but Becker was there to finish the play, drilling a one-time shot out of a scramble in front and putting the Knights ahead, 2-0.
- With a season-high seven saves, junior goalkeeper Emily Janiszewski earned her second shutout of the season and the win in net.
- Becker's first career goal came just 1:11 into her College Stadium debut. The first-year had been called into action as a substitute at the 69:17 mark and scored on the ensuing play.
- Scoring both of their goals on corner kicks on Thursday, the Knights have now scored three of their seven goals off of set pieces.
- Geneseo has notched two consecutive shutouts and have not allowed a goal for 252:30, since the first half against St. Lawrence on Sept. 1.
- The Knights begin their season with three consecutive victories for the first time since 2014, when they won six in a row to start the campaign, finishing 16-3-3 on the year.
Geneseo (3-0-0) will play host to Skidmore on Saturday, Sept. 9 at 2:30 p.m.