NEW PALTZ, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore forward Miranda Ozimek scored the Knights' first goal and senior midfielder Ashley Byrne added a tally late to lead the team to a 2-0 victory over State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) foe New Paltz on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ozimek struck quickly, finishing off a cross from senior midfielder Caitie Cunningham to give Geneseo a 1-0 lead in the sixth minute of play.
- In the 72nd minute, Byrne struck a direct kick from 25 yards out to the top right corner of the goal to extend the Knights' advantage.
- Senior goalkeeper Emily Janiszewski made a pair of saves to preserve the shutout victory.
- Janiszewski and the Knights' defense recorded their seventh-consecutive shutout, and have not allowed a goal in 665:48 consecutive minutes of game time, dating back to September 12.
- Ozimek's tally was her team-leading fifth goal of the season while Byrne netted her second goal of the year.
- Cunningham recorded her third assist of the year, matching her career total entering this season.
- Geneseo clinched its sixth-consecutive SUNYAC Tournament berth. The defending SUNYAC Champions have advanced to the conference tournament finals in four of the past five seasons.
Geneseo (9-2-1) will return home to face Brockport on Saturday, October 13 with kickoff scheduled for 1:00 p.m.