GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior midfielder Jennifer Moran scored a pair of goals to lead the Knights to a 2-0 victory over visiting Plattsburgh on Wednesday afternoon in the semifinal round of the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the 30th minute, Plattsburgh first-year forward Kirsten Villemaire intercepted a Knights clearance and shot from within 12 yards, but Geneseo senior goalkeeper Emily Janiszewski made the save.
- Junior back Taylor Clar nearly scored when her free kick rung off the crossbar in the 39th minute, but the teams went into halftime scoreless.
- Early in the second half, senior midfielder Jennifer Moran found the net with a left-footed shot from 25 yards out that glanced off the crossbar and in, putting the Knights ahead, 1-0.
- Moran buried an insurance goal with just over seven minutes to play when she controlled a cross from junior back Sarah Lefrois and finished a shot under the crossbar from 15 yards out.
- Moran scored her first and second goals of the season and marked her third-consecutive SUNYAC Tournament game with a score, dating back to last year.
- Senior goalkeeper Emily Janiszewski posted a season-high eight saves to preserve her 12th shutout of the season, one shy of the single-season program record (Paula Fisher, 13).
- The Knights advance to the SUNYAC Championship for the fifth time in six seasons, and seek their third conference championship in five years.
Geneseo will face the winner of second seed Cortland and third-seeded Potsdam in the SUNYAC Championship game on Saturday, November 3 at 1:00 p.m.