GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior forward Domenica Piccoli scored in the second half but the Knights could not draw level, falling to No. 2 William Smith, 2-1, at College Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo played William Smith to a scoreless tie in the first half, despite being outshot, 10-4. William Smith nearly pulled ahead in the first 10 minutes, but sophomore back Julia Dell Aquila headed the ball off the goal line to keep the score level.
- Sophomore midfielder Holly Moore placed a shot on goal in the 18th minute but it was turned away by the Herons' goalkeeper.
- In the second half, the Herons took a two-goal lead with back-to-back scores in the 61st and 62nd minute.
- In the 71st minute, senior back Taylor Clar cleared a long ball upfield where Piccoli beat a defender and the goalkeeper and scored on an open net to draw the Knights within one.
- Junior goalkeeper Julia McDonald finished with nine saves, one shy of her career high.
- Piccoli netted her team-leading fourth goal of the season while Clar earned her first assist of the year.
- The Knights' goal was the first scored on William Smith this season (four games).
Geneseo (4-2-0) will host Nazareth on Wednesday, Sept. 18 at 7:00 p.m.