GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior forward Domenica Piccoli scored in the 87th minute to propel the Knights to a 2-1 victory over visiting Nazareth at College Stadium on Wednesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights had several scoring chances in the first 30 minutes of play, led by three shots from sophomore midfielder Hannah Sullivan.
- In the 35th minute, first-year forward Lindsay Wright was dragged down in the box to earn a penalty kick. Senior back Taylor Clar put the ball in the bottom right corner of the net to give the Knights a 1-0 advantage, her second goal of the season.
- The Golden Flyers drew even with just over 30 minutes to play, capitalizing on a failed clearance to level the game, 1-1.
- Late in the second half, sophomore midfielder Hannah Sullivan struck a long free kick to Wright who flicked a header on behind the Golden Flyers defense. Piccoli won the footrace to the ball and poked a shot past the charging goalkeeper to put the Knights ahead, 2-1.
- Clar's tally marked her career-high second of the season, tying her all-time goal total over the previous three seasons.
- The Knights outshot the Golden Flyers 16-6, snapping Nazareth's three-game winning streak.
- Wright earned her first point of her collegiate career, while Piccoli's goal marked her team-high fifth of the season.
- Junior goalkeeper Julia McDonald recorded three saves in net for Geneseo.
Geneseo hosts Farmingdale State at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday at College Stadium.