GENESEO, N.Y. - The SUNY Geneseo women's soccer fell to visiting Cortland, 1-0, in overtime of the State University of New York Athletic Conference Championship on Saturday afternoon at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the fourth minute, senior forward Domenica Piccoli ran down a lofted through ball and struck a half-volley cleanly, but it went ringing off the crossbar before the Cortland defense cleared it away.
- Playing with the wind at their back in the first half, the Red Dragons outshot the Knights 10-1, but junior goalkeeper Julia McDonald made three saves to keep the score level.
- Geneseo and Cortland played through a scoreless second half despite the Knights outshooting the Red Dragons, 8-4.
- In the first overtime period, Cortland lobbed a quick counter attack over the back line and won a foot race to the loose ball for a breakaway, finishing the shot far post for the game-winning goal.
- Sophomore forward Hannah Sullivan, junior forward Ellie Gregory and senior forward Domenica Piccoli were each named to the All-Tournament Team.
- The Knights finished with five corner kicks while holding the Red Dragons to two.
- Cortland earned its first SUNYAC Championship since 2012.
Geneseo (15-3-1) will await the NCAA Selection Show in hopes of an at-large bid to its third-straight NCAA Division III Women's Soccer Tournament.