MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo defeated Gallaudet, 3-1, and host Morrisville, 3-0, to complete a tri-meet sweep, Friday night, on the road.
GENESEO 3, GALLAUDET 1 (25-18, 23-25, 26-24, 25-19)
- Sophomore outside hitter Grace Cergol led the way with 17 kills to go along with 18 digs while sophomore libero Sam Mendelsohn totaled a match-high 19 digs to lead the Knights over the Bison.
- The first set saw Geneseo turn a 10-9 deficit into a 19-13 lead 10-3 run, buoyed by two kills and a service ace by junior setter Emily Ast. Morrisville pulled within three, 19-16, but the Knights scored six of the final seven points to seal the opening win.
- In the second, the Knights fell behind 9-5 but responded with a 9-4 spurt to pull within one, 14-13. However, the Bison scored eight of the next nine points to take command, 22-15, en route to evening the match.
- Geneseo looked to be in trouble in the third set after Gallaudet turned a 12-11 lead into a 22-17 advantage. A Cergol kill started a 5-1 run that pulled the Knights within one, 23-22, but the Bison scored a kill to force a set point. Geneseo first-year outside hitter Alexandra Frank notched a kill before a Mendelsohn service ace pulled the Knights even. First-year middle blocker Kiersten Colvin and sophomore outside hitter Abby May notched back-to-back kills to complete the comeback.
- Geneseo fell behind, 9-6, in the fourth, but a 10-2 spurt pushed the Knights into the lead, 16-11. Gallaudet battled back to tie the score, 18-18, but Geneseo closed out the match with a 7-1 run.
GENESEO 3, MORRISVILLE 0 (25-6, 25-15, 25-12)
- Geneseo scored the first eight points of the first set on its way to a 15-3 lead. Leading, 18-6, the Knights scored the final seven points to earn the opening victory.
- Geneseo trailed, 6-4, to start the second set, but bounced back with a 9-2 run to forge a 13-8 lead. The Mustangs pulled back within two, 13-11, but an 8-2 run pushed the visitors to a 21-13 lead that proved to be insurmountable.
- In the third, Geneseo put the match away with a 12-3 run that turned a slim 8-7 lead into a 21-10 edge en route to the win.
- Geneseo (6-4) won its third-straight match after also shutting out visiting Pitt-Bradford, 3-0, on Wednesday. The Knights are now 6-2 in their last eight matches.
- The 3-0 sweep of Morrisville was only the second three-set match the Knights have played in their first 10 matches this season.
- Cergol has compiled a double in kills in digs in nine of 10 matches this season. She has also only been held without at least one service ace in one match, totaling a season-high four tonight vs. Morrisville.
- May has only made six hitting errors on 59 total swings in the Knights' three matches this week.
- Ast compiled 13 digs to go along with 36 assists versus Morrisville to account for her seventh double-double this season.
Geneseo hosts SUNY Poly on Tuesday (Sept. 19) at 7:00 p.m. in Schrader Gymnasium.