GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo sophomore outside hitter Abby May compiled 13 kills and a match-high 20 digs for her first collegiate double-double to lead the Knights to a 3-1 (24-26, 25-22, 25-22, 25-15) victory over visiting SUNY Poly, Tuesday, at Schrader Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first set, Geneseo crept out to a 10-6 lead, but the Wildcats responded with 10-3 run to build a 16-13 lead. The Knights rode a 7-2 spurt to re-take a 20-18 edge, but the visitors broke a 23-23 tie by winning three of the final four points to clinch the opening win.
- The Wildcats jumped out to an 8-2 second-set lead and held a 13-8 lead before a 9-0 Knights' run, including three kills by first-year outside hitter Gabrielle Ayzenberg, forged a 17-13 lead. SUNY Poly made it a 21-20 deficit, but Geneseo scored four of the final five points, including a pair of kills by sophomore defensive specialist Kendyll French, to even the match.
- The visitors once again got out to a quick start in the third, leading by as many as six, 13-7, but Geneseo turned a 15-10 deficit into a 22-18 lead with a 12-3 run, spurred by a pair of May service aces. SUNY Poly came back within one, 23-22, but a May kill followed by a Wildcat error closed the set.
- Geneseo took control of the fourth set with an 8-1 opening run, including three Ayzenberg service aces, before opening a 10-point lead, 21-11, that proved to be the difference.
- First-year outside hitter Alexandra Frank led the way with a career-best 16 kills to go along with a .314 hitting percentage.
- Ayzenberg compiled her first collegiate double, totaling career highs of 13 kills and 14 digs while leading the Knights with a .323 hitting percentage.
- May's 20 digs were her career-best in a four-set match, while she was only one short of the overall-high 21 she compiled in the team's 3-2 win over Wooster (Sept. 2) earlier this season.
- First-year setter Mary Bartkus finished with a career-high 40 assists in her first collegiate start.
- Geneseo compiled a season-high 12 service aces, led by four by May and three apiece by Ayzenberg and Bartkus.
Geneseo travels to Plattsburgh for the first State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Pool play of the season. On Friday (Sept. 22), the Knights will take on New Paltz at 5:00 p.m. before taking on the host Cardinals (12:00 p.m.) and Potsdam (2:30 p.m.) on Saturday (Sept. 23).