PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. – The SUNY Geneseo women's volleyball team swept a pair of matches over host Plattsburgh, 3-1 (25-16, 25-16, 17-25, 25-15), and Potsdam, 3-0 (25-14, 28-26, 25-22), on the second day of State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Pool Play action, Saturday.
Unbeaten in their last seven matches, the Knights (10-4, 3-0 SUNYAC) improved to 3-0 in conference play after also defeating New Paltz, 3-2, on Friday night.
GENESEO 3, PLATTSBURGH 1 (25-16, 25-16, 17-25, 25-15)
- Sophomore outside hitter Abby May totaled a match-high 18 kills to go along with nine digs while sophomore defensive specialist Sam Mendelsohn added 25 digs to lead the Knights to victory.
- Geneseo trailed, 6-4, early in the first set but a May kill started a 6-0 run that pushed the Knights ahead. Leading, 12-9, the Knights put together a 9-3 spurt to build a 21-12 lead en route to the first-set win.
- In the second, Geneseo once again trailed, 6-4, but rode an 11-2 run to take a 15-8 edge that grew to as many as nine as the Knights took a 2-0 lead.
- Geneseo found itself in a 7-0 hole to start the third set, before battling back with a 7-0 run of its own to tie the score. Plattsburgh took a 9-7 lead, but Geneseo came back to tie the score three times, including 15-15. The Cardinals finally pulled away, scoring 10 of the final 12 points to earn the third-set win.
- Trailing, 11-8, in the fourth, Geneseo strung together a decisive 13-3 run to build a 21-12 lead to put the set out of reach and clinch the victory.
GENESEO 3, POTSDAM 0 (25-14, 28-26, 25-22)
- Sophomore outside hitter Grace Cergol compiled 21 kills and 10 digs to lead the Knights to the shut-out win over the Bears.
- Cergol notched three kills during a 6-1 run that staked Geneseo to a 12-5 lead in the first set, before an 8-2 spurt pushed the Knights to a 20-7 lead en route to the first-set victory.
- A close second set saw Potsdam build an 8-5 lead before the Knights came back to take a 17-15 edge. The Bears scored the next four points to re-take a 19-17 lead, but Geneseo rebounded to lead, 21-20. Geneseo had to fight off three Potsdam match points before scoring three in a row, including a service ace by first-year outside hitter Maddie Kaplan, to earn the 2-0 lead.
- Potsdam forged an 11-6 lead in the third before Geneseo battled back to tie the score, 16-16. Tied, 18-18, a Cergol kill started a 4-0 Knights run that led the Knights to the final victory.
Following a midweek trip to Alfred for a 7:00 p.m. match on Wednesday (Sept. 27), Geneseo will hit the road for a two-day quad-match, hosted by Vassar. The Knights will square off with Nazareth on Friday (Sept. 29) at 7:00 p.m. before facing Western Connecticut at 12:00 p.m. and the host Brewers at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday (Sept. 30).