ONEONTA, N.Y. - The SUNY Geneseo women's volleyball team swept Oneonta, 3-0 (25-17, 25-10, 25-13) and Oswego, 3-0 (25-22, 25-21, 25-9) to close State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Pool Play, Saturday, at Oneonta.
The Knights (19-9, 7-2 SUNYAC) clinched the third seed for the SUNYAC Tournament and will host sixth-seeded Cortland on Tuesday, Oct. 31 at 7:00 p.m. The winner will advance to take on second-seeded Fredonia in the semifinals, to be hosted by top-seeded Brockport on Friday, Nov. 3.
GENESEO 3, ONEONTA 0 (25-17, 25-10, 25-13)
- Geneseo first-year middle blocker Bridget Lougen totaled 11 kills and a .733 attack percentage to go along with six blocks while sophomore outside hitters Grace Cergol and Abby May each added nine kills to lead the attack.
- Tied, 10-10, in the first set, the Knights scored a 13-5 run to build a 23-15 lead en route to the opening win.
- Geneseo scored 12 of the first 13 points in the second set and opened a 13-point lead, 20-7, the proved insurmountable.
- Leading, 9-3, in the third set, the Knights opened a double-digit lead, 16-6, on its way to the 12-point win to seal the match.
GENESEO 3, OSWEGO 0 (25-22, 25-21, 25-9)
- Cergol totaled a match-high 21 kills while junior setter Emily Ast was credited with 38 assists and 10 digs to lead the Knights.
- Geneseo led, 14-9, in the first set, but the Lakers battled back with a 5-0 run to knot the score, 14-14. The Lakers took a 22-21 lead, but the Knights scored the final four points to clinch the opening win.
- Tied, 6-6, in the second set, Geneseo used a 5-1 run to build a 11-7 edge before pushing ahead, 17-12. The Knights then forged a 21-16 lead en route to the four-point win.
- Geneseo closed the match in the third, turning an early 6-4 lead into a 16-6 advantage before scoring nine of the final 12 points to earn the win.
- Ast moved into second place on the Knights' career assist list with 2,575 to date, surpassing Ashley Saltzman '08 (2,552).
Geneseo will host Scranton on Tuesday (Oct. 24) at 7:00 p.m.