HOUGHTON, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore outside hitter Abby May earned six kills on six swings for a perfect 1.000 hitting percentage as the Knights earned a 3-0 victory over SUNY Canton on Friday evening at the Houghton Invitational, hosted by Houghton College.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights started the first set slowly, but a 6-0 run gave the team a 12-6 lead. A pair of service aces by May sealed the first set as the Knights pulled away to a 25-14 win.
- In the second, the Knights recorded 11 kills with just two errors for a .409 hitting percentage while holding Canton to a -.037 hitting percentage. Geneseo earned the 25-11 second set win to take a 2-0 lead.
- The team fell behind to begin the third set, 5-1, but three kills by sophomore opposite Shea Casey helped the Knights regain the lead with a 5-0 run. The Knights led by as many as six, 21-15, before the Kangaroos tied the game at 24-24. Consecutive kills from first-years Abigail Moosazadeh and Kendyll French sealed the third set, 26-24, and the match win, 3-0.
- Casey recorded a career-high five kills on just seven swings, recording a .714 hitting percentage.
- Sophomore outside hitter Grace Cergol recorded seven kills, hitting .700 on the night, marking her most kills in a match without an error.
- Junior setter Emily Ast recorded a team-high 17 assists while first-year Mary Bartkus dished out six assists.
The Knights will take on Allegheny and Keuka on Saturday at 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. respectively.