GENESEO, N.Y. – Top-seeded SUNY Geneseo fell to second-seeded New Paltz, 3-0 (25-21, 25-20, 25-23) in the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Women's Volleyball Tournament Championship, Saturday, at Schrader Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first set, New Paltz took an early 11-5 lead that ballooned to 19-12. Geneseo came out of a timeout on a 6-1 run to pull within two, 20-18, but the Hawks scored five of the final eight points to close the first set.
- The teams played a back-and-forth second set. Geneseo scored five-straight points to build a 14-10 lead, before the Hawks responded with 7-2 spurt to lead, 18-16. The Knights scored two points to knot the score, 18-18, but New Paltz finished the set with a 7-2 run to take a 2-0 lead.
- Geneseo opened a 13-9 lead in the third set, but the Hawks responded with an 8-4 run to knot the score, 17-17. With the Knights clinging to a 22-20 edge, New Paltz put together a decisive 5-1 run to close the championship.
- Geneseo senior setter Emily Ast and sophomore defensive specialist Alexandra Frank were named to the All-Tournament Team. Ast compiled 32 kills and 10 digs while Frank was credited with 10 kills and 10 digs along with two service aces.
- New Paltz won its third SUNYAC Championship and first since 2014 and 2009. The Hawks also made their fifth championship match appearance in the last six years.
- Geneseo is winless in four finals appearances, also finishing runner-up in 1998, 2004 and 2006.
Alison Sullivan – Oswego
SallyAnne Rudney – Fredonia
Alexandra Frank – Geneseo
Emily Ast – Geneseo
Madison Van Pelt – New Paltz
Kerrie Neville – New Paltz
Meredith Dignan – New Paltz (MVP)