GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior outside hitter Grace Cergol totaled 11 kills and eight digs to lead the Knights over visiting Fredonia, 3-0 (25-5, 25-23, 25-20), in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) women's volleyball action, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Fredonia scored the first point of the match, but Geneseo responded with a 13-0 run on the serve of junior outside hitter Alexandra Frank, including three service aces, as the Knights cruised to the opening win.
- Geneseo opened a 10-7 edge in the second, but Fredonia responded with a 10-0 surge to lead, 17-10. First-year setter Grace Thomas halted the run with a kill and then served eight-straight points to push the Knights back into the lead, 18-17. The Blue Devils scored three of the next four points for a 20-19 lead, but Geneseo used a 4-0 spurt to re-take a 23-20 lead it would not relinquish en route to the 2-0 lead.
- Trailing 5-3 early in the third set, Geneseo used a 7-2 run capped by three-consecutive service aces by junior middle blocker Kiersten Colvin, to take a 10-7 lead. The Knights' lead grew to as many as six down the stretch before finishing the match with a five-point final set win.
- Geneseo attacked at a .556 clip in the first set, logging 12 kills on 18 swings without any errors.
- Senior outside hitter Abby May added nine kills.
- Frank tied a season-high with five service aces.
- Senior libero Sam Mendelsohn totaled a match-high 15 digs.
- Thomas ended the match with 26 assists and nine digs.
- Cergol became the second player in program history to eclipse the 1,400 kill plateau with 1,407 to date.
Geneseo (10-7, 5-0 SUNYAC) heads to RIT on Tuesday (Oct. 8) for a 6:00 p.m. match with the Tigers.