LOGAN TWP, N.J. – SUNY Geneseo senior Elise Ramirez finished first out of 299 runners to lead the Knights to first place out of 45 teams at the NCAA Division III Atlantic Regional Championships, hosted by Rowan at the Gloucester County DREAM Park, Saturday.
The Knights automatically qualified for their 20th-consecutive NCAA Division III Championship after placing four runners in the top-six. The top-two teams in the region earned automatic berths. Geneseo also extended the nation's longest streak of qualifying both its men's and women's programs for the NCAA Championships to 16 as the Knights' finished runner-up on the men's side.
Geneseo is the winningest team in the 31-year history of the Atlantic Region Championships with 11 total titles.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo compiled a winning score of 28 points. RPI finished second with 89 points, followed by St. Lawrence (128), TCNJ (160) and Rochester (163) to round out the top-five teams. It was the lowest winning score at the meet since 2005 when the Knights won the title with 22 points.
- Ramirez covered the 6-kilometer course in 21:50.45, finishing nearly five seconds ahead of the rest of the field. A four-time All-Region finisher including a runner-up finish last year, she is also Geneseo's fifth Atlantic Region individual champion and first since Liz Montgomery '08 won back-to-back titles in 2006 and 2007.
- Junior Genny Corcoran placed third (22:08.48), improving 14 spots over last year's 17th-place outcome.
- Senior Dana Cebulski ran to a fifth-place finish (22:45.93) after placing eighth last fall.
- Senior Allison Fernandez was sixth (22:46.81) following a ninth-place effort as a junior.
- Junior Taylor Rettig finished 13th (23:02.52) to close Geneseo's top-five.
- Senior Laura Barreca (23:26.67) and sophomore Olivia Baumann (23:33.82) finished 28th and 32nd, respectively to complete the Knights' top-seven.
1. Elise Ramirez 21:50.45
3. Genny Corcoran 22:08.48
5. Dana Cebulski 22:45.93
6. Allison Fernandez 22:46.81
13. Taylor Rettig 23:02.52
28. Laura Barreca 23:26.67
32. Olivia Baumann 23:33.82
TOP TEAM FINISHERS (1st/45 Teams)
1. Geneseo 28
2. RPI 89
3. St. Lawrence 128
4. TCNJ 160
5. Rochester 163
Geneseo, which entered the weekend third in the latest USTFCCCA national poll and first in the Atlantic Region, will be in action next Saturday (Nov. 17) at the NCAA Division III Championships in Winneconne, Wisc. hosted by Wisconsin-Oshkosh at the Ocean Breeze Golf Course. The women's race is scheduled to begin at 12:15 p.m. ET.